Photo of a veteran's room in residential aged care showing a blue lounge, round brown table with a blue book and yellow flowers in a vase on it

Financial hardship and veterans’ assistance

Alongside the financial support offered to anyone who can’t afford the full cost of home or residential aged care, there are a couple of other ways to access financial help from the Australian government.

Financial hardship assistance

People with limited assets or access to funds may qualify for financial hardship assistance. In this case, the government might pay for some or all of the costs of your care.

This extra help applies to:

● home care support
● respite care
● permanent residential aged care.

Each case is assessed individually.

To apply, there are a few forms you need to fill out. You may need to get some help from a trusted friend or family member, or from a social worker.

You may also need advice from a financial advisor or the government’s Financial Information Service.

Information and forms are available at MyAgedCare, or call 1800 200 422
● Find out how to nominate someone to act on your behalf for home care or residential care

Veterans’ assistance

Veterans – along with war widows and widowers – can access a couple of different programs designed to help you live at home comfortably.

Community Nursing Program
Run by the Department of Veterans Affairs, this program offers home care for people who qualify following an assessment by a doctor, nurse or other health professional.

Support includes:
● Personal care, including washing
● Wound care
● Medication management

For more information, or to apply, call the DVA on 1300 550 450

Veterans’ Home Care Program
For a higher level of home care, the VHC program supports those with white or gold Repatriation Health Cards with home care including:
● Personal care, including washing
● Minor home maintenance and gardening for safety purposes
● Domestic support, including shopping, if required
● Respite care in some circumstances.

You’ll need an assessment by a medical practitioner before you can apply.

For more information, or to apply, call the DVA on 1300 550 450