Power of attorney home care- photo of white dog sitting on a grey lounge looking at the camera

Power of attorney

Acting on behalf of someone else

Some aspects of aged care can be complicated, and it can be helpful to have a family member or friend help you.

If you’d like a friend or family member to help, you need to give them legal permission to act on your behalf. This permission can allows them to share your personal, financial and medical information if you don’t want to or are no longer able to.

There are several ways you can grant permission for others to act on your behalf. The main positions are:

  • Administrator: assisting with legal and financial decisions (no enduring power of attorney appointed)
  • Enduring power of attorney: responsible for legal and financial decisions
  • Guardian: assisting with health decisions (no enduring guardian appointed)
  • Enduring guardian: responsible for health decisions when you are unable to act
  • Nominee: able to deal with government agencies like Centrelink, Department of Human Services and Medicare

(Actual terms may differ depending on your state or territory)

In most cases, you’ll need a lawyer to assist you; they’ll explain the position and powers to the person helping you, and be present when you sign over powers.

Granting others to power to make decisions for you is not permanent. As long as you are able to make an informed decision, you can revoke any of these powers whenever you want to.

Nominee form

If you want to make a friend or family member a ‘nominee’, you can do this online here, or by printing out and sending in this form. Remember, nominees can make important decisions, so don’t just choose Frank from down the shops. Make it someone you really trust.