Getting financial advice - photo of two lap tops open on a wooden table with two close up pairs of arms going through some information on a page that in between them

Aged care paperwork

What is the assessment by ACAS, and why do I need it?

To qualify for any government care subsidy (including residential aged care and post-hospital transitional care), you’ll first need an Aged Care Assessment. This is a simple process where health professionals ask you about your health needs.

You will also need this assessment before you can put your name down on residential care waiting lists or get funding for a Home Care Package.

Aged Care Assessment Services (ACAS) provide teams who will also help work out what type of care will best meet your needs, including aids and equipment, and services such as physios, Home Care, or Residential care.

What is an NSAF?

The National Screening and Assessment Form (NSAF) is used by the My Aged Care staff, the My Aged Care Regional Assessment Service (RAS) and Aged Care Assessment Teams (ACATs) when screening and assessing your care needs.

By using the form, it keeps the assessment process consistent.

What is a support plan?

During the assessment, the assessor will work together to create a plan that reflects your strengths and abilities, areas of difficulty, and the support that will best meet your needs and goals.

The plan can include recommendations of formal and informal services, as well as ways to re-establish daily living skills or community connections where needed.

What is the referral code?

A referral code is your unique reference number for receiving services. Your assessor will give you one referral code for each type of service you’re eligible for. For example, services can include home care, respite care, and permanent care in an aged care facility. This information will be included in your support plan.

If you lose your code, you can contact My Aged Care to get it.